95% of Online Ads for locksmiths are Scammers
Most ads will say they charger $10-20 but end up charging hundreds. Only 15 states require locksmiths to be licensed.
Types of scams
- Identity theft – some bad people will steal and use your credit card information
- Bait & Switch – they quote $10-15 and then they’ll tell you the job is more complicated
- Cash only – scammers limit their payment methods to cash only so you can’t charge back or dispute
- Destruction – some locksmiths will purposefully destroy locks so they can sell you new equipment
- Duplicate keys – bad actors will make key copies of your home or locks and break in later
Watch out for:
- Unreasonable low prices in ads
- Negative online reviews
- Foreign language answering services
- Unmarked vehicles and no name tags
- Destroys locks
- Only accepts cash or cash upfront
Check out our online reviews on Google and Yelp for a reliable detroit locksmith.